Fathead Chicken Fries
It seems there are a gazillion ideas/recipes/options/opinions on keto-friendly french fries. Substituting for potatoes isn’t (or is) an issue, it seems 🙂
So how about this: I’m checking my YouTube feed and I see a video from a popular keto channel†, announcing the next great keto pizza crust: The Chicken Crust!
I think to myself, “that sounds pretty good.” Then I remember how infrequently I make pizza, and I file it in my deep memory. I couple days later I see the video in my feed again and I have a keto epiphany… I could make this recipe and shape it into fries rather than crusts: Chicken Fries!!!
Full disclosure: I actually did not use the inspirational crust recipe. I went to my standby Fat Head recipe for the basis: mozzarella, cream cheese & spices, no flour or egg, add chicken. Here’s my riff.
- 25 oz chicken breast meat* crumbled
- 1 tsp each onion powder & garlic powder
- 8 oz Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2 oz Cream cheese
- Drain canned chicken. Crumble and mix in seasonings. Set aside.
- Melt cheeses together in microwave, stirring every 30-60 seconds.
- Add chicken mix to cheese mix. Mix well, then knead to well distribute chicken.
- Press or roll into a rough rectangle, no less than 1/4″ thickness, place dough on lined baking sheet
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, remove from oven and carefully flip onto a cutting board. Score into french fry shapes with pizza cutter. Move back onto lined baking sheet and bake another 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and break up the fries. Bake loose fries another 5 minutes, if desired.
- Serve with dipping sauce, perhaps sour cream mixed with salsa verde for example.
* I use Members Mark natural chicken breast in water from Sam’s Club, 2 12.5 oz cans.
† Keto Connect, No Carb Pizza Crust!